Sunday, August 16, 2015

Potato Salad - copyright 1958, garlic, and Zucchini Report

Well, I guess my blog post is going to be all about food.  I hope you're not hungry.

I picked this book up at a Used Books store years ago.  Copyright 1958.  It includes weird (!) interesting recipes for jellied salmon salad and other totally gross interesting foods.  If you want to have a 'retro' party, this should definitely be on your supply list, along with a frilly apron.

BUT.  It has my FAVORITE Potato Salad recipe, which I doctor up a bit by adding a tablespoon of chopped fresh dill, and a half teaspoon of regular old yellow mustard.

Garlic.  I have garlic coming out my ying-yang (which can be, ahem, slightly uncomfortable)  I've already given away five or six heads.  I still have three more rows to dig, so this quantity is likely to triple.
Last year I chopped and dehydrated it, then used the coffee grinder to pulverize it into garlic powder (which, by the way, tends to glue itself back together into a big unwieldy glom.  Grrr).  This year, since I have so much, I thought I would do a little Google Research.  It shall be FROZEN IN OLIVE OIL.  See HERE for the full article. Apparently (hmm - time will tell) it will stay soft enough to scoop out, even when frozen.

Freezing Garlic

Garlic can be frozen in a number of ways:
  1. Chop the garlic, wrap it tightly in a plastic freezer bag or in plastic wrap, and freeze. To use, grate or break off the amount needed.
  2. Freeze the garlic unpeeled and remove cloves as needed.
  3. Peel the cloves and puree them with oil in a blender or food processor using 2 parts oil to 1 part garlic. The puree will stay soft enough in the freezer to scrape out parts to use in sautéing. Freeze this mixture immediately - do not store it at room temperature. The combination of the low-acid garlic, the exclusion of air (by mixing with oil), and room-temperature storage can support the growth of Clostridium botulinum.

ZUCCHINI REPORT
Picked this week:    11
Picked YTD:           93

Oooh!!  Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I will break 100 zucchinis next week!

On Thursday, I made chicken kabobs from the Crosby Molasses website.  With the leftovers, tonight I will make wraps using Zucchini Soft Taco Shells.  I promise to let you know how they turn out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please - share your wisdom...